About MT Outdoors
'We aspire to be the best outdoor retailer in New Zealand.'
- Customer service: We listen to what our customers want or to what they are wanting to achieve in the outdoors and match their needs to our products.
- Expert advice: We provide first hand experience of the products we stock and supplement this with an in-depth knowledge on the technologies and applications of each product.
- Sustainability: We align with a sustainable approach to outdoor recreation and respect for our environment. We encourage environmentally friendly practices, minimise waste through recycling and encourage our suppliers to use less packaging. We educate our customers on proper care of their gear to enhance life span and push for repair of a product over replacement where possible.
- Education:We seek to help educate our customers on the behind the scenes work being done in the outdoor retail space by providing information on changing technologies (eg DWRs), best practices and new legislation being adopted and enforced and how that impacts production and performance of the gear we stock.
- Community: We aspire to provide a welcoming and supportive environment to foster people’s enthusiasm no matter what stage they’re at in their chosen pursuit/s. We want to support others in promoting enjoyment and respect for the outdoors through event sponsorship, exposure and avenues for people to try out new gear, meet new people and take on new challenges.
MT Outdoors is a family business based in Wanaka, New Zealand, founded in 2005 by Steve and Kay Hart. Steve has skied for 45 years and been alpine climbing for 40 years both at home and around the world, which first inspired the dream of MT Outdoors. Steve and Kay started the business to create a specialised outdoor adventure sports store that serviced people passionate about the outdoors, especially climbing, mountain running, skiing and ski touring. Furthermore, they dreamt of a whole team who knew the products personally and could provide the best specialist equipment and advice for adventurous people.